One Month of Horse Ownership


I have owned Cree and Teddie for one month now and so I figured I would dedicate a post to a few lessons that I have learnt so far. To the initiated they will probably seem like common sense, but I want to put them out there anyway. Here goes...

Horses are expensive. I know this is one of the more obvious things about horse ownership, but it needs to be said because I know (first-hand I'm ashamed to say) that it can be severely underestimated. This month I have had to increase my overdraft, use my emergency credit card and take out a pay day loan just to keep up with everything. It's my own fault for not adapting my lifestyle to factor in the horses, but it is a hard lesson to learn. Feed, fly spray, hay, straw, grooming accessories, tack, farrier... It all adds up rather quickly.

Countrywide is the best store ever. I have already spent ridiculous amounts of money in there. They sell pretty much everything you need and have a lot of stores in easy access. I wouldn't recommend going there on pay day, or if you do stick to a strict list, as it is very easy to empty your back account in there. They have a loyalty card too, unfortunately mine doesn't work and their online customer service team is a bit shit.

There are highs and lows. There are times that I have mourned my lie-ins. There have been times where I feel I have taken on too much. I've felt stressed, alone, unsupported. The good moments completely outweigh them though. Watching Cree gallop and buck in the field or watching Teddie grow each day like a little sunflower are things I wouldn't change. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't be allowed within 100 feet of a horse, but I am also learning so much everyday. That's another thing- don't be afraid to ask for help if you aren't sure, most equestrians are very willing to share their knowledge.

You will get hurt. You can't be afraid. So far I have gotten away lightly with a few occasions of Cree or Teddie standing on my foot. There was also that time that I got knocked on my arse by a foal. I am very aware that a more serious injury is definitely a case of when than if. Horses are big scary animals and at times they will behave like big scary animals. You very quickly learn that you can't fear this otherwise you're screwed.

As I said before, I am learning so much every day with these two new additions to my life. It's exciting, nerve-wracking, scary, fun. I am getting so much more fresh air and exercise than I have done in years. I am really excited about what I will have to say after two months of ownership, seeing how much I've learnt and how far I've come. Maybe I would have regressed, who knows? Only time will tell.

Kezia
xxx

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOW

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.

Polyvore